Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Volunteer!

Hello all!
I am very sorry it has been a while. I have been so busy. I wanted to share what has been going on with me lately. I have been co-leader of a awesome project. My friend Dee Dee Lambert and I have been volunteering at our local pound in Dublin, TX. We have been working our tails off to get those wonderful dogs homes. The Dublin Pound is a kill shelter so we don't have much time to waste on finding the dogs forever homes. We have adopted out 27 dogs so far in about a 2 month period. Mostly mutts but a few purebreds here and there. Mutts are Great, Don't Discriminate! Anyway, I feel like I have finally put myself to use for the greater good! I am not an animal rights activist by any means, I grew up showing cattle and on a farm for goodness sakes! But I do truly have a very soft spot for dogs! Anyway, I would encourage you all to give some of your time to something that benefits another. No matter what the cause, a helping hand is always needed. Give your time to something that needs your time! A bunch of pound puppies just happened to be where I have been lending a hand, but you can do anything you please. I do suggest volunteering in an area that you are very passionate about. I love animals and especially dogs and as a kid I always wanted to be a Vet. Maybe I was suppose to help animals in a different way. Maybe my calling was to connect loving families to needy dogs! I have known every dog personally that has came through that pound. I have seen them find loving homes and nothing could be more rewarding. I want to share with you all my very favorite personal story about volunteering. Connie. Connie is a white pit bull. She is the sweetest dog I have ever met! I loved her! She had been at the pound for a very long time. The animal control officer was asking if it was her time to go. I was so heartbroken! I was going to bring her home to live with my pack of dogs but then a email came in from a wonderful person that was interested in Connie. We drove Connie all the way to Denton to meet her new family. As I put her in their back seat she turn around and put her paws on my chest. I knew right then that she knew that I had helped her. I will never ever forget that! Connie is doing great and she could not have found a more perfect home!
I could ramble all night long about my volunteering but I am going to sum it up right here.
There will be happy moments, rewarding times and many other positive things you will experience. You will also experience defeat, sorrow, and other negative aspect but it is all worth it if you can save a few dogs! You never know you might save a few people too!
I leave you with a quote:
"Service to others is the payment you make for your space here on earth."
Mohammed Ali

Here is a little video I made of some of the dogs we have gotten adopted. Remember this is just some of them there are more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home