Wednesday, November 12, 2008

FINALLY!!!

Hello all! I promise one of these days I will do better at posting on here! Well, I am really excited and feeling accomplished today. So excited in fact that I am posting during my lunch hour from work! For those of you who know me this will be things you already know about me but for others here it goes. I grew up on a farm/ranch in Olney, Texas. I know for a fact that growing up the way I did made me the person I am today and I am so grateful for that. My Dad raises show steers so I have been around cattle my whole life. I have seen it all when it comes to farm life. My parents never sheltered me from the bad parts of farm life either. I have seen death and common events that happen within a small cattle operation. My Dad is such a natural with cattle. I like to think that I got my cow sense from him. I think being good with cattle it something to brag about because you really have to understand them to be able to work with them. My Dad's Dad, my grandpa Clyde was also very good with cattle so it is in my blood. I grew up helping my Dad with everything that related to our little herd. My sister, brother and I all showed steers. My sister, Laura had the highest winning steer that our family raised.... Grand Champion Steer at the Houston Livestock Show in 1986 with a Char named Pancho.
I had pretty good luck as well...I got to walk on the floor of that sacred place to all steer exhibitors "The Astrodome"... not just once but twice! Thanks to my Dad and my hard work. My brother has also seen some purple ribbons and has not done to shabby either with his cattle. So now to the punch line! I am excited today because I recently took some pictures of a bull that my Dad and brother-in-law (and also one more partner) sold. I finally got to take some pictures of something I am very interested in. I was so excited!! My brother-in-law told me today that they were very happy with the pictures and I did a little dance! Ha Ha!
I miss farm life so much!! I hope someday I can move home and buy a little place of my own (and my husbands) and maybe I can carry on what my Dad has done plus my photography!

"I wanted to be a cattle rancher when I was young because that is what I knew and what I loved." -Sandra Day O'Connor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home