Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Carlton First United Methodist Church



Western Art

I wanted to give you all a little information on the photo I posted. This photo is of the Carlton First United Methodist Church. As you can see it is older, abandoned and lifeless. The town of Carlton, Texas is a extremely small community near Hamilton, Texas. It was once a small but busy little spot on the map. Now all that remains is a very empty downtown and a few residents. This church is amazing! It was originally built in 1874 and was renovated in 1914. It has wonderful architectural features and was probably the nucleus of Carlton back in it's prime. This piece of history really caught my eye! As you all can see from my photos I love old things. Also, all I could think of was how this beautiful building would look in a black and white setting. I think it turned out pretty good. I love the drama of such a great building because I always wonder if people who see it think what I am thinking. Using your imagination is crucial in interpreting art! You have to think of "what was" not "what it is now". So..... imaging children laughing and playing running around the yard surrounding this church on Sunday morning..... imagine men chatting about the weather and crops.... imagine women talking about their interest and life.... most of all imagine a better world with simple times. I hope that is what you get from this photo because that is what it represents.

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home